Wednesday, March 08, 2006

The Whistling Debate

(I just discovered there was such a thing this morning courtesy of the Globe and Mail)

Too Little or too much? Seems to be the question at hand here.

On the one hand, whistling supporters say that it's a dying art, "why doesn't anyone whistle any more?" It's free, it's natural and it brightens up the day AND it relieves stress! But now (apparently) it's no longer "cool" to whistle and sadder still, whistlers aren't passing on the tradition to the youth. Sigh.

But some people would disagree....some say that whistling in the workplace can distract people from the task at hand by getting tunes "stuck in their heads". How horrible. This terrible affliction is know to Scientists as 'muscial imagery' and obviously has no place at work.

Thoughts anyone?

7 Comments:

Blogger Quitmoanez said...

No place at work? Pfff!

I whistle most mornings.

And if we had more of that at work, maybe our souls wouldn't rot so quickly (as can happen with boring and sterile work).

Whistle like it's going out of style, as it appears to be.

:)

8:31 AM  
Blogger Anita said...

It took me a while to perfect my whistling skills, and still at times i feel i don't whistle loud enough. Hpwever, I do have a special trick where I whistle without moving my mouth very much at all, so sometimes people can't even tell who's whistling. I've noticed that lately I've stopped whistling, could I be subconsiously feeling the change in trend?

11:39 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

perhaps. Personally, the secret whistler is my favorite. It's always a fun game to try and figure out who it is. Usually my first instinct is to look for cute old men in tweed suits.

My whistling problem is a bit different. You see, I never learned how to whistle more than three pitiful notes. Do I practice in the privacy of my own home until I hone my skills, or should I just whistle away regardless of the pain it might cause innocent bystanders?

7:23 AM  
Blogger Quitmoanez said...

Whistle! Whistle with abandon!

3:22 PM  
Blogger J C said...

Shawna and I communicate with whistles. She has the cutest pucker when she whistles. We whistle for each other in the shower, when lunch is ready, when we want to get each other's attention. It's usually a low whistle, a love whistle if you will...

12:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always wondered: are we more or less tuneful when we whistle than when we sing? Is whistling more nurture- than nature-based? If I whistle long and hard enough, could I eventually become the Mariah Carey of whistling? Dreamlover come rescue me.

10:20 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

go for it champ, I believe in you!

4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home